Monday, August 25, 2008

Portrait of a Brunette

Since I'm in a painting mood this past few weeks, I did a few sketches and artworks. With this one, my intention was to get a cartoon/anime/manga style while the colouring, more to a semi-realistic approach. Juggling with three tools in Painter X, I managed to create something that I'm proud of. The blender tool was a godsend for this one. Seriously, the blender tool can be defined as a sculpt tool, since I literally sculpted her face by "pushing" the colours. As you can see from my original sketch, it doesn't look exactly the same with my final artwork.

Step 1: Sketched the basic structure of the face. In this case, it doesn't look anything like my final result.

Step 2: Painted and sculpted the face. Added shadows as well to add more depth. I plotted the colours I wanted to use on the blank, unused space so that I can eyedrop them anytime I want.

Step 3: I sketched and coloured her hair all on this step. Played with shades of brown and orange to make the hair more natural. Added shadows and highlights blend it in with her face.

Step 4: I tweaked the shadows and highlights of the whole portrait here.

Final Artwork: After a bit more detailing, colouring and saturation tweaking, this is the final result.


Hope everyone understands generally how I do my digital painting. What did I learn from this? Blending is a great tool, you can start of with something and produce something completely different. It's like plasticine, just use your imagination and creative mind.

3 artistic comments:

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* myadlan said...

wow.. cool tutorial
why the smile is a bit odd eh?

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* Soulie said...

smirkin sexy lips hehe. i seriously like the hair details!

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* bem69 said...

myadlan: its supposed to be a smirk, but yeah it does look a little bit odd I agree.

soulie: thanks baby hehehe

Blog Widget by LinkWithin