Thursday, November 22, 2007

50th Merdeka T-Shirt - My first T-shirt production

I've always dreamed of seeing how my designs would look like printed on t-shirt. Well, this year I finally got to fulfill that dream and I designed a t-shirt to commemorate Malaysia's 50th Merdeka (Independence) celebration. Of course, from the marketing point of view, we could all relate to this, since most of us are Malaysians in Malaysia (uh-huh).

Alright, I admit it, the graphics used for my t-shirt is not new. I have created the set of cute Malaysians a year ago, so that saved me some time. Originally, the illustration was used for a book cover. I've posted this earlier on in my DeviantART account, but anyway this is the 2nd reuse of these set of characters. A few people have expressed how they like the design, so I thought since the appeal factor is there, why don't I use this for my t-shirt project? Technically, the t-shirt design is the 3rd time I've used the same characters. Oh well, they say third time's the charm hoho.




What's the design like? Well, you can see from the photos enclosed with this post, but I'll explain briefly about my design decisions.




  • The colours blue, yellow, red and white represents Malaysia's flag colours. The three row of boxes (red, yellow and blue) as the background represents harmony.
  • The cute characters represents unity and harmony (Redundant, I know, but it does put more emphasis on the peaceful nature of Malaysia).


  • "50" cutout within the row of boxes is to signify the 50th Merdeka celebration
  • Fonts are chosen to appeal to an audience of a wide age range.


  • The words "I'm 50" at the back is what I like most, where its purpose is to strike the curiousity of people looking at the shirt. For example, people would wonder why is a teenager wearing something that says I'm 50 when he's only in his teens? And that would hopefully make them want to look at the front print. Well, that was my idea anyway. Also, the four lines is there to not only signify the Malaysian flag, but to standardise with the graphics at the front.

  • A small flag on the right hand sleeve. Something that was suggested by my cousin. This goes with the Merdeka theme while still being fashionable (I think), you still have the flag to be proud of.

Overall, I'm proud of this production, and I thank all that have supported me by buying a few from me. I've learned about the problems that come when converting your digital illustration to t-shirt printings. I've learned about what affects quality and that marketing is important. I'll probably try and get some other t-shirts out in the future. Below are the photos of the actual t-shirt worn by willing models :P







6 artistic comments:

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* Zendreus said...

Really nice!

I like the miniature Malaysians best! =D

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* bem69 said...

zendreus - Thanks :)

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* Pedel said...

oit! tempah satu hehe

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* bem69 said...

haha pedel betul ke nak.. L je ada

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* Pedel said...

Aiseh.. sajer x nk bikin size aku huhu :(

*/ a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl' rel='nofollow' /* Riez said...

rancak bener...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin