Reading this book on Retro styling, there was an article on how to make photos look like its from old newspapers. Unfortunately, I don't remember all of the tutorial, so I guess I'll just give it my best shot. So here's the original picture.
So, my goal is to make the picture look like a black and white newspaper cutout from a newspaper. Here are the steps taken:
- Desaturated the original image, to make it black and white.
- Increased the contrast using the Brightness/Contrast sliders. Don't ask why, it just works and that's what the book said.
- Applied a Halftone filter (twice, I wasn't satisfied with once). Its at Filter > Sketch > Halftone Pattern.
- By now I've got the image looking somewhat like a newspaper photo. Next, I lassoed the picture with random mouse strokes to make it look like a tearaway.
- Ctrl-X, to cut the selection out, and move it to a new document. I have two layers now, Background and the one I pasted.
- Applied a Drop Shadow effect on the layer to make it look more "paper-ish"
- Filled in the bottom layer with a slightly saturated colour, to put emphasis on the newspaper cutout.
- The end
Yeah I know its not much, but hey, its sufficient for a 5-10 minute job. :)